IF YOU COUNT ON CAVENDISH CONNECTS TO KEEP YOU INFORMED, WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO COUNT ON YOU.
7/22/16 Cavendish Update
1. Cavendish Related News
2. From Mini Bees to Long Wings- Cavendish Bids Farewell to Lori and Ted
3. Tag Sale: Posting Pictures of Sale Items
4. The Eerie Side Cavendish
5. GMUHS School Board Opening
6. Chris Kleeman Plays at 7/3/16 Concert on the Green
1. CAVENDISH RELATED NEWS
Stripping Continues on the Doors for the CHS Museum: Follow along with the progress being made in restoring doors for the Cavendish Historical Society Museum at the CHS blog. If you would like to help with the final stripping, painting or installation, please call 802-226-7807 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The VT Journal Launches New Website: The new website for the Vermont Journal is now available at http://vermontjournal.com
Congress Passes a GMO Law that Nullifies VT’s Law: The federal bill passed house and senate and is awaiting the President’s signature. It would require most processed foods with genetically engineered ingredients to carry either a text label, a symbol or an electronic code to be read by smart phones. VPR
With New Protections In Place, EB-5 Project At Okemo Allowed To Resume Soliciting Investors: An EB-5, foreign-investor funded project at Okemo Mountain Resort in Ludlow has been cleared to resume soliciting money from immigrant investors, and state regulators say the SouthFace Village at Okemo project has added a number of new investor protections. The SouthFace Village project is billed as a “four-season luxury home community” at Okemo Mountain Resort, and work on the project is already well underway. VPR
State Police Consolidate Rockingham, Brattleboro Barracks in New Westminster Facility: The Vermont State Police officially raised the flag at its new $6.2 million barracks in Westminster Thursday. The long-delayed 16,600-square-foot building represents the first time the police have consolidated two troops into a single facility. The staff members have been moving over to the new building over the last few days, and dispatch will be in service at the new building next week. VPR
2. FROM MINI BEES TO LONG WINGS: FAREWELL TO LORI & TED: As of Aug 1, Lori and Ted Brand of Minibees (a.k.a The Cavendish General Store) are moving to Florida, whose state insect is the Zebra Long Wing, a type of butterfly. Their contributions to the town-from the most delicious chocolate chip cookies to the Cavendish Survivor Contest-will be sorely missed.
On July 24, Sunday, from 2-5 pm, the community is hosting a farewell party for the Brands on the property next to the store. There will be a BBQ grill going, so bring a side dish, cold drinks to share or something for the grill. More importantly, bring your well wishes for our friends and neighbors on their new adventure.
If there is something specific you’d like to do, or need more information, please contact Jamie at 802-376-4178
3. TAG SALE: POSTING PICTURES OF SALE ITEMS: Do you have some interesting items for this year's tag sale? If so, send a picture plus where the item will be located during the sale to email@example.com. Starting today sale items will be posted to the Cavendish VT Facebook page.
4. THE EERIE SIDE OF CAVENDISH: So what places in Cavendish are haunted? Have you seen a ghost or had something strange happen to you? It may be summer, but the Cavendish Historical Society is compiling a list of "haunted spots" in Cavendish. There are a number of stories out there about the Dutton House, Wheelock Farm and the Golden Stage Inn. Can you add anything? E-mail stories to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 802-226-7807
5. GMUHS SCHOOL BOARD OPENING: The Green Mountain Union High School Board (GMUHS) seeks a Cavendish Town resident interested in serving as a member of our own local school board. The term of this position will be until Town Meeting Election Day held on Tuesday, March 7, 2017. The Board meets regularly, the second Thursday of each month at 6:00 P.M. and others as necessary. Members may fulfill additional responsibilities including, but not limited to, board committees and possible service on the Two Rivers Supervisory Union Board.
Please submit a letter of interest to the Two Rivers Supervisory Union Board by Monday, August 29, 2016 addressed to:
Meg Alison Powden
TRSU Superintendent of Schools
609 VT Route 103 South
Ludlow, Vermont 05149
6. CHRIS KLEEMAN PLAYS AUG 3 CONCERT: On Wednesday, August 3rd at 6:00 p.m. the Vermont based master blues singer and legendary song stylist, Chris Kleeman will perform at the Cavendish summer music series on the green in Proctorsville.
A performer of great energy and focus, Chris is well known for his sparkling interpretive skills, bringing songs from across a broad spectrum to spice up an already simmering, soulful pot of music. He provides a unique opportunity to see and hear the real thing; an artist of high energy and gritty musical performance.
This is another in the continuing series of Wednesday evening public concerts that the town of Cavendish and the Cavendish Community and Conservation Association produce for all to enjoy. Relax in the grass on your blanket or favorite lawn chair – have a picnic or just listen to the music. Help keep the tradition alive and come to Proctorsville to enjoy a warm summer evening with your neighbors and friends in front of the gazebo.
This concert is sponsored by the Good Earth Landscape Co. and by the Golden Stage Inn, both of Proctorsville.
As always, the concerts are free and open to everyone. Rain dates will be announced on the Cavendish Facebook page. For more information please call Robin at 226-7736.
JULY 23 (Saturday): Weed wackers needed for lawn care at the lot next to the Cavendish Elementary School. Meet at the lot at 8 am.
JULY 24 (Sunday): Farewell party for Lori & Ted (Minibees) from 2-5 pm at the property adjacent to the store.
JULY 27 (Wednesday): Green Brothers Shoes is the featured artist for the Wednesday night Concert on the Proctorsville Green, which gets underway at 6 pm. Check Cavendish VT Facebook page in the event of rain.