CHECK THE CAVENDISH VT FACEBOOK PAGE DAILY FOR THE LATEST NEWS You don’t have to be a Facebook subscriber to see this page.
3/2/18 Cavendish Update
1. Town Meeting
2. Cavendish Related News
3. Get Your Girl Scout Cookies
4. Cavendish Library Events
1. TOWN MEETING: Town meeting takes place on Monday, March 5, 7 pm at Cavendish Town Elementary School’s multi purpose room. The town budget will be voted on at this meeting. Download a copy of the Town Report, that includes the Town Meeting Warning, or stop by the Town Office to pick up a copy.
The school portion of the meeting will be informational. This is the time to ask questions about the budget and how the Two Rivers Supervisory Union (TRSU) and Green Mountain Unified School Districts (GMUSD) have been operating.
Voting by Australian Ballot will take place on March 6 (Tuesday), 10-7 at the CTES Arts room. This is when you will vote on school budgets and elect town officers. There are no contested races this year.
2. CAVENDISH RELATED NEWS
Editorial: Vote No on GMUSD Budget: It’s Not for the Kids: The Chester Telegraph urges the voters of Andover, Baltimore, Cavendish and Chester to vote NO on Tuesday, March 6 on the proposed $12.5 million school budget for the new Green Mountain Unified School District. The GMUSD school board needs time to retool its budget to offer the added educational opportunities promised under Act 46. From the very beginning, this budget has been plagued by a lack of transparency, questionable spending priorities and obfuscation by Superintendent Meg Powden. Several school board members have even said privately that if the voters rejected the budget they would have more time to go back and fix it. Chester Telegraph
The Raptors Around Us Learning Program Rescheduled: The CCCA’s Raptors Around Us program had to be cancelled because of snow. The talk has been rescheduled for Wednesday, March 7 at 1 p.m. at the Cavendish Town Elementary School on Main Street in Proctorsville. For more information about the program, please call Claire Walker at 802-226-7259. Refreshments will be served.
Cavendish Historical Society News: The Winter edition of the CHS newsletter Scribbler II is now available on-line at the CHS Blog. As March is Women’s History Month, the CHS annual meeting on March 18 (Sunday), 2-4 at the Cavendish Baptist Church, will begin with the presentation Cavendish Women You Should Know. Throughout the month, CHS will be posting to their blog, biographies of women who have made a difference in our town. When the Museum opens in May, there will be a special display Women in Cavendish History featuring Phyllis Bont, Ethel Roosevelt Derby, Natalia Solzhenitsyn, Mrs. Svetlova and Mary van Schaik. Today’s post is an overview of women in Cavendish history, including the “keepers” of Cavendish history, which has been predominately women.
3. GET YOUR GIRL SCOUT COOKIES: The Cavendish/Ludlow Girl Scout Troop 51406 is selling cookies the next two weekends as follows:
• March 2 Singletons 4-6 pm
• March 3 Next to Brewfest 4-6 pm
• March 9 Shaw’s, Ludlow 3-6 pm
• March 10 Next to Brewfest 4-6 pm
4. CAVENDISH LIBRARY EVENTS
• Murder on the Orient Express movie and dinner is scheduled for 1pm Sunday March 11th. Menu is an outstanding collection of Eastern European dishes from Hungary, Austria, Turkey and Germany -- To make it even more fun, if you like, dress for the train trip!
• Sit & Knit every Thursday evening from 5-7...Show us what you're working on..knit, crochet, hooking--rugs or tapestries, embroidery, crewel, needlepoint....so many to choose from...refreshments provided....
• Saturday 3/24 6:30 pm: Paint & Munch Party/Fundraiser to raise funds for a event marquis sign for the library. It will feature heavy appetizers and desserts
Donation of $35.00 per person includes painting supplies, a guided painting lesson, food and non-alcoholic drinks. Tickets go on sale on March 1. for info call 226-7503
MARCH 2 (FRIDAY): Girl Scout Cookies sale, 4-6 pm at Singletons.
MARCH 3 (SATURDAY): Girl Scout Cookies sale, 4-6 pm next to Brewfest
MARCH 5 (MONDAY): TOWN MEETING, 7 pm at the CTES multi purpose room
MARCH 6 (TUESDAY): ELECTION DAY 10am-7 pm at CTES
• Community lunch at Gethsemane church on Depot St at noon. The menu is meatballs and Italian bolognaise sauce served with pasta, Caesar’s salad, rolls and dessert made by the first graders. Everyone is welcome.
MARCH 7 (WEDNESDAY): The Raptors Around Us Program, 1 pm at CTES
MARCH 8 (THURSDAY): Sit & Knit from 5-7 at the Cavendish Library in Proctorsville. Show us what you're working on..knit, crochet, hooking--rugs or tapestries, embroidery, crewel, needlepoint....so many to choose from...refreshments provided....
MARCH 9 (FRIDAY): Girl Scout Cookies sale, 3-6 PM Shaw’s in Ludlow
MARCH 10 (SATURDAY): Girl Scout Cookies sale, 4-6 pm next to Brewfest in Ludlow
MARCH 11 (SUNDAY): DAY LIGHT SAVINGS begins
• Murder on the Orient Express movie and dinner, 1 pm at the Cavendish Library. Menu is an outstanding collection of Eastern European dishes from Hungary, Austria, Turkey and Germany -- To make it even more fun, if you like, dress for the train trip!