Congress failed to pass a stopgap measure so the federal government is now in partial shutdown.
What this impacts
Social Security, SSI, Unemployment insurance, TANF, Food Stamps: Benefits will continue, but applying and appealing may be stopped.
Medicare and Medicaid: Payment may be delayed for providers but the programs will continue to operate
• Veteran’s Hospitals
• Federal prisons
• Local Governments, schools, libraries etc.
• U.S. Postal Service (note that new rates go into effect on Sunday. A stamp will now cost. 50¢
• Airports-Air traffic controllers, TSA officers and customs agents will continue to work at airports
• USDA Inspection of meat, poultry and eggs
• Federal Financial Aid-Note that 90% of the Education Department staff will be sent home
• Supreme Court
• Special counsel’s Russia investigation
What is closed
• Smithsonian Museums and the National Zoo
• National Zoo Panda Cam
• Federal office Buildings: Most departments and agencies will be shut down
• IRS Customer Service-Automated processes will continue but anything that involves people will be closed
• Disaster recovery efforts
• Many government research operations
• National parks though limited access will be available wherever possible.
• Federal courts: Will have three more weeks of funding
• Passport offices will likely remain open but not those in federal buildings
• Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is funded through March.
• Military is currently paid through Feb. 1. After that they will not be paid until after their shutdown
• Department of Health and Human Services: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will have a hard time with their annual flu programs. Reduced staffing is expected
Other Ways it can Impact
• Home buyers could face delays in closing. The Federal Housing Administration would halt new mortgage approvals. Since lenders often ask IRS to verify a potential buyer’s tax information, delays should be expected
Impacts in Vermont
• Vermont Guard-Normal day-today operations would cease and only essential personnel would report for work.