SUPPORT CAVENDISH CONNECTS BY ATTENDING BBQ UNDER THE STARS ON JULY 15.
6/16/17 Cavendish Update
1.Cavendish Select Board Meeting 6/12/17
2. Cavendish Related News
CAVENDISH SELECT BOARD MEETING 6/12/17: Select board (SB) meetings are recorded by LPC-TV and are available at their website and on Comcast Television. Written minutes are available at the town’s website. The following action was discussed/taken at Monday night’s meeting:
• Update provided on Telecommunications
• Deferred to July’s meeting the approval of the Coolidge/Ludlow Solar road crossing agreement on Quent Phelan Rd
• Agreed to ask the Agency of Natural Resources for an extension on filing of comments as to the need for an Act 250 permit pertaining to the Quarry at the end of Tierney Rd. Agreed to convene a meeting to further discuss the issue and to see if a binding agreement can be reached between the concerned Tierney Rd residents and the quarry owner. Note-The extension has been granted by ANR until June 30.
• Approved hiring Katie Hamlin to redo the municipal website using Square Space
• Approved the use of the Proctorsville Green for the summer concerts starting July 5 and ending Aug. 16. (See schedule below)
• Accepted with regret the resignation of Seth Perry as animal control officer and town constable.
• Approved the VT Municipal Bond Bank Loan Agreement for the replacement of the Wastewater Treatment Plant Aeration System, which was approved by town vote in March.
• Approved the filing o a grant application to place beacons in the cross walk in front of CTES.
• Reviewed options for replacing the town garage. Preferred approach, and lest costly, is a prefabricated building, which could be in place by the time snow flies.
For a more in-depth report on the SB Meeting, go to The Dish.
2. CAVENDISH RELATED NEWS
Black River Water Testing for 6/14/17: The sites on the Black River in Cavendish all tested clean for swimming and boating on June 14 (Wednesday). These sites include Greven Field (70 CFU) and the Cavendish Gorge (72 CFU)). Thank you BRAT and Okemo for providing us with this invaluable service. To check other sites that are tested on the Connecticut River watershed, go to http://connecticutriver.us/site/content/sites-list
Summer Concert Series: Once again CCCA is sponsoring the concerts on the Proctorsville Green, which take place from 6-8 pm every Wednesday from July 5 to Aug. 16. The concert line up is as follows:
July 5 Gypsy Reel
July 12 Sensible Shoes
July 19 The Spiders (featuring Cavendish’s own Mark Huntley on drums)
July 26 Alison Turner
Aug. 2 local blues man Chris Kleeman
Aug 9 Gully Boys
Aug. 16, Yankee Chank (featuring Cavendish fiddler Bob Naess).
Thank you CCCA and Sharon Huntley for continuing to provide free and quality music every summer. Weekly concert reminders will be posted in the Cavendish Update and on the Cavendish VT Facebook page. In the event of a cancellation, or change of venue due to weather, check the Cavendish VT Facebook page. FMI: 226-7736
Solzhenitsyn Talk: On June 22, Thursday, Margo Caulfield of the Cavendish Historical Society will be giving a talk on the book Alkesandr Solzhenitsyn: The Writer Who Changed History at the Fletcher Memorial Library in Ludlow at 7 pm. Copies of the book will be available for purchase and signing at this event, which is free and open to the public. Please use the rear entrance to the Library Margo will be sharing his extraordinary journey . . . from young Russian child to Communist student . . . from heroic soldier to gulag prisoner . . . from unknown provincial schoolteacher to Nobel prize-winning author . . . from a “traitor” expelled by the Soviet government to a living legend finally returned home. Solzhenitsyn was himself, a longtime resident of Cavendish, VT. Certainly a fascinating time in US, Cavendish and Vermont history! FMI: 802-228-8921
Black River High School and Black River Academy Yearbooks: The Fletcher Memorial Library in Ludlow now has all yearbooks from 1930-2016 for BRHS & BRAM digitalized. Cost per page to print is .20¢. You can order a disc for $10 each. FMI: 802-228-8921
JUNE 18 (SUNDAY): HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!
• Pickleball 10 AM at CTES.
• Cavendish Historical Society Museum Open 2-4.
JUNE 21 (WEDNESDAY): CTES 6TH Grade Graduation, 6 pm
JUNE 22 (THURSDAY): LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
• Talk at the Fletcher Library on the book Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: The Writer Who Changed History, 7 pm, free and open to the public. Please use rear door. More information above.
JUNE 23 (FRIDAY): GMUHS Graduation