It’s that time of year where people are frantically trying to find gifts. It’s important to think about shopping locally since doing so helps keep money locally and supports the growth of other businesses as well as the region’s tax base. Interestingly, there is growing economic research that shows entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character. Bottom line-Think small, avoid the mall and shop Cavendish whose got it all!
Local Holiday Specials:
• Cavendish Historical Society: Order one of their books Nov. 22-28 and they’ll gift wrap and wave the shipping and handling fee. Books that have considerable appeal to anyone who loves Cavendish include: Barbara Kingsbury’s History of Cavendish; Sandra Stearn’s (Cavendish’s own Laura Ingalls Wilder) Cavendish Hillside Farms 1939 to 1957; Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: The Writer Who Changed History; Carmine Guica’s Autobiography and Linda Welch’s Families of Cavendish series. FMI: 802-226-7807, email@example.com
• dG Body Works: Bootcamp punch cards normally $80/10 Holiday special: $70/10 ($7 per class) who couldn't use that special!?! Their one year anniversary will be on Dec. 9 at 1 pm. All are invited.
• Golden Stage Inn: Purchase your tickets for the Dec. 2-3 Inndulgence Tour "Passports" are $15 per person and gain you entrance into ten inns from noon til 5 to taste their INNdulgent treats and enjoy their holiday decor. Visit Golden Stage Inn to purchase your tickets or call for more information. Makes a great gift for a group of friends. FMI: 802-226-7744.
• Old Cavendish Products Fabulous fruitcakes and other delicious treats. 10% off for locals, if you call them at 226-7783.
Local Non Profits: In addition to getting your Christmas tree from the local fire departments, shop the Holiday Fair on Dec. 2 from 9-2 pm at the Proctorsville Fire Hall. The 6th graders are making lunch and there are all sorts of special gifts and treats available.
• CCCA is selling their 2018 Cavendish Calendar at Crow’s Bakery, the Village Clipper and at Singleton’s Market.
• Fletcher Farms School for the Arts and Crafts has a gift shop, which many local artists contribute to, as well as offering an array of classes-perfect for the arts/crafts person in your life. Remember Cavendish residents/property owners get discounts on classes
Food is a popular gift so consider gift certificates to places like Crows Bakery, Murdock’s, Neals, Singleton’s and American Pie. Order on-line for Old Cavendish Products-fruitcakes, chews or Cavendish Gamebirds and consider gift certificates to other local food producers. Check out the Cavendish Pinterest site for local food & drink options.
Finally, check out the Cavendish Business Directory for a wide array of services that would make for terrific gift certificates.