IF YOU COUNT ON CAVENDISH CONNECTS TO KEEP YOU INFORMED, WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO COUNT ON YOU.
6/17/16 Cavendish Update
1. Cavendish Select Board Meeting 6/13/16
2. Cavendish Related News
3. Cavendish Business Directory Updating
1. CAVENDISH SELECT BOARD MEETING 6/13/16: Select board (SB) meetings are recorded by LPC-TV and are available at their website and on Comcast Television. Written minutes are available at the town’s website.
With a number of important issues to discuss, the most significant piece of information was given at the end of the meeting when Rich Svec, town manager since 1988, announced his retirement effective September 2016. At this juncture, no information has been given about search committees for his replacement, restructuring or how the select board will proceed in addressing this significant change in town governance.
The following additional action was taken at Monday night’s meeting:
• Fire Districts: Outlined a strategy to begin the discussion of one taxing fire district
• Approved a town wide reappraisal beginning in 2017, but fully operational in 2018-2019, due to a wide disparity between current assessments and fair market value.
• Reviewed another draft of the Cavendish Municipal Water System By-Laws and agreed that a public hearing should be held on July 11 with implementation taking place in September.
• Report from the town’s sexton shows that cemetery costs are down and revenue up. Various youth groups will be helping over the summer to right and clean head stones and do pruning.
• A meeting has been set for June 20 at 5 pm for the SB to meet with John Broker-Campbell, Floodplain Manager for Southern VT regarding the Cavendish Flood Hazard Area Regulations.
• Agreed that the town auditor, Peter LaBelle, can make changes in line items due to minor entry glitches dating back to 2000 and 2005. Such changes will not impact the town’s bottom line and will be noted in next year’s town report
• Approved the increasing of tipping fees at the Transfer Station (solid waste fees will be doubled-$1.50 for a small bag to $3.00 for a large one) and requiring all vehicles using the transfer station to display a permit. These changes will take effect on September 1st.
For a full report on the SB meeting, please see The Dish.
2. CAVENDISH RELATED NEWS
Connie Kendall Retires from CTES: Originally hired as a paraprofessional, Connie Kendall began teaching in the Primary Unit (K-1) in 1992. Eventually she became the full time Kindergarten teacher as well as the America Reads Coordinator. Many will remember her reading the “Fudge” series during the All Night Read-A-Thon, making “Stone Soup” with her students and playing her guitar. Kendall loves gardening as well as her wood fired sauna, both of which we hope she has plenty of time to enjoy in her retirement. Thank you Connie for your many years of service to the Cavendish community and enjoy your retirement.
Weathersfield Trail Head Robbery: State Police are investigating a theft from a vehicle that occurred at the Weathersfield Trail Head parking area located off High Meadow Road in Weathersfield. A couple hiking returned to their vehicle and found the passenger side window smashed and a purse stolen from inside. The purse was described as a black leather Michael Kors pocketbook containing the victim’s personal effects. This crime occurred between 1000 and 1100 hours on 6-13-16. Anyone with information regarding this theft is asked to contact Tpr. Brian Turner at the Rockingham Barracks."
Springfield Area Man Indicted on Multiple Armed Robberies: Matthew Martin was arraigned Tuesday, who ordered him back into custody and detained until his trial. Martin could face up to 25 years in prison on each of two counts of armed robbery one of which was the December robbing of the Heritage Family Credit Union in Ludlow. VT Digger
3. CAVENDISH BUSINESS DIRECTORY UPDATING: Cavendish Connects is currently updating the Cavendish Business Directory. If you have a Cavendish business and/or are a resident that owns a business and are not currently listed or incorrectly listed, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org withinformation. Please provide business name, website URL, best phone number and a brief description of your business. If you see a business listed that is no longer operational, please let us know that as well.
JUNE 17 (Friday): GMUHS Graduation
JUNE 18 (Saturday): Annual Running of the Books race to benefit the Cavendish Library
JUNE 19 (Sunday): HAPPY FATHER’S DAY
JUNE 20 (Monday): Select Board special meeting, 5 pm
JUNE 21 (Tuesday): CTES Board Meeting 5:30 pm at the School