IF YOU COUNT ON CAVENDISH CONNECTS TO KEEP YOU INFORMED, WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO COUNT ON YOU.
As we approach the end of 2016, please consider making a donation to Cavendish Connects so that we can continue to provide the Cavendish Update, Facebook, website and Calendar in 2017. Donate to Cavendish Connects
12/23/16 Cavendish Update
1. Cavendish Related News
2. Recycling Clothes and Shoes in Cavendish
3. Job Opening
1. CAVENDISH RELATED NEWS
Greven Ice Rink is Open: The ice rink at Greven Field is now open. The rink is lit-perfect for a nighttime skate. There are loaner skates and sticks available. Please use caution regarding weather and ice conditions.
Retirement/Promotions at the Proctorsville Fire Dept.: Serving PFD for 34 years, First Deputy Chief Roger Sheehan is retiring and his last day is Dec. 31. Sheehan also serves as the town’s fire marshal, a position he will retain. Thank you Roger for a job well done. With the second in command leaving, First Captain Robert “Bobbie” Glidden Jr, will now be the first deputy chief. Glidden follows a long tradition of firefighters with a great grandfather, grandfather and now father, Robert Glidden Sr., serving as Chief. Replacing Glidden will be First Lt. Seth Perry. Second Lt Nate Rose will become the new first lieutenant. Congratulations to Bobbie, Seth and Nate on their promotions.
Phone Scam -BCBS VT: There have been numerous reports of a phone scam, claiming to be from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont, which shows up on caller ID devices as “Margarita Man.” The automated 'robocalls' aim to enroll people in a new "pain management program" and claim the company has "partnered with Blue Cross-Blue Shield. This is not a legitimate call, but rather an attempt to obtain personal information. DO NOT give out any information over the phone to anyone you don't know. If you receive such a call, immediately hang up and contact the Vermont Attorney General's Office consumer assistance program at 802-656-3183 or the Department of Financial Regulation at 802-828-3301.
2. RECYCLING CLOTHES AND SHOES IN CAVENDISH: The Cavendish Transfer Station’s Fiber Barn has suspended operations while a search for a new fiber recycler is underway. To recycle clothes, shoes and other items, consider the following:
• Goodwill Industries of the Berkshires and Southern VT (230 N. Main Street, Rutland VT
• Give Back Box Program: Goodwill and Amazon have teamed up for the Give Back Box program. After removing items from the Amazon box, a user fills it with clothes, accessories and other items you want to donate and then visits GiveBackBox.com to print a free shipping label. The box can be dropped off at the post office or UPS or picked up. Donations go to the closest Goodwill participating in the Give Back Box program.
• Repurpose: Can’t bear to part with various clothing items? Repurpose them into other practical uses, such as shopping tote, rag rug, sweater mittens, pillows and more. Check out the following links for more ideas: or DIY Upcycling Clothing
3. JOB OPENING: The Golden Stage Inn is looking for weekend morning/daytime help (with likely extra shifts during school vacation weeks and summertime). We need honesty, reliability, and the ability to work hard. The job is primarily housekeeping with some kitchen assistance in there too. This can be seasonal or year round; we can work that out with the employee. Starting pay is $11/hour. Anyone interested should call me at (802) 226-7744.
CHRISTMAS EVE SERVICES (Dec. 24, Saturday)
• Candlelight Service at Okemo: 8:00pm. Located in the Jackson Gore Round House, Jackson Gore Road in Ludlow, VT. Celebrate Christmas with Okemo with a candlelight service led by Cavendish Baptist Church Pastor Abraham Gross. All are welcome to this sharing of the Christmas story and traditional Christmas caroling.
• Cavendish Baptist Church: 6 pm: Short Bible readings of the Christmas story along with traditional Christmas carols. Candle lighting
• St. James United Methodist Church: Christmas Eve Service Saturday, Dec. 24 at 6 pm
• Gethsemane Episcopal Church: Carol, lessons and holy Eucharist Saturday, Dec. 24 at 4 pm
CHRISTMAS DAY SERVICE (Dec. 25. Sunday)
• Cavendish Baptist Church: 10:00am. 2258 Main Street in Cavendish. A traditional Sunday worship service celebrating Jesus as the center of this season and all seasons of our lives. FMI: (802) 226-7131 or visit CavendishBaptist.com
• Calvary Church (Route 103): 11 am, one-hour service.