Getting Your VT Drivers License Renewed

Recently, various people in town have been caught up in the VT Driver’s License Renewal debacle. Basically, if you haven’t renewed your driver’s license since Jan. 2014, be prepared as it’s a lot more complicated for “security.”

To save squinting your eyes -Know that you have a 14 day grace period from your birthday. It’s in very fine print on your license.

You can renew, update or request a duplicate license by mail, however it will result in the issuance of a “Non-Real ID” compliant card-or “Privilege Card” rather than “License.” That means for things like boarding a plane, you can’t use your driver’s license and will have to have another form of accepted ID, such as a passport. Sooooo....

If you want a License, you’re going to need to show up at the DMV (Springfield and Rutland are closest) and have with you, in addition to the renewal application form, the following three items-and they will not take any substitutions-a good book is also helpful, or you can keep your Facebook friends entertained as they provide Wi-Fi

1. Original or certified copy of your Birth certificate or current passport

2. Social Security Card; or W-2 form or Social Security Administration 1099 form; or Non-Social Security Administration 1099 form; or pay stub with you name and Social Security number on it. Photocopies or faxes are not acceptable.

If you need a Social Security card, you need to go in person to the Social Security office-closest are Rutland or Keene, NH. There is no cost for the new card, but you will need to bring a copy or your birth certificate or current passport. This will be mailed to you and takes about 5 business days.

3. Proof of VT residency-Two pieces of mail with current name and street address.  If you use a PO Box, provide any two of the following:

• utility bill-must list service address;

• property tax bill with physical location;

• lease or landlord statements;

• Vermont EBT card or VT AIM identification card; Homeowners/renters insurance (policy/proof of claim).

If you reside with others and get no mail at your street address, you’ll need to complete the Vermont Residency Certification and submit with your application. 

It’s an all or nothing situation-if you have all three, you get your license. If an item is missing, you’ll receive a “Privilege card.” The good news is that if you do then find your birth certificate, or whatever item you’re missing, they will issue a license free of charge provided nothing else has changed.

When you receive your renewal notice-should arrive 30 days before your birthday-read the enclosed information carefully. Don’t bother calling the number provided. Along with brewing the first pot of coffee for the day, they must automatically take the phone off the hook as all you get is a busy signal no matter how many times you call. It’s really easier to just go to the DMV.